If you can’t beat ‘em, eat ‘em!
In case you’ve been under a rock, Lake Freeman has been besieged by a few folks who seem to have the answers for protecting five species of endangered mussels and clams on the lower Tippecanoe River.
Have you ever eaten mussels? Me neither, I just tried them for the first time and they are delicious! You can’t eat the endangered ones, that will land you in jail.
Buy the ones in your local grocery store or fish market.
They are super easy to prepare and pair wonderfully with a Pinot Noir.
- Place 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water or white wine in a pot.
- Turn the heat to high.
- Place mussels into the pot and cover.
- Let cook for 5-10 minutes.
- When steam starts coming from under the lid, and the shells are open, they're done.
- Place on a pasta bed with some artichoke hearts and red sauce and enjoy!
Surface Area: 2.344 square miles